Overview of Admissions
Students typically apply for admission to the Southwest Virginia Governor's School in the spring of their sophomore year. All applicants must complete the ENTIRE SWVGS Application Packet as well as any other requirements specific to their own school division. Applications are reviewed by selection committees in each participating school division. The selection committees consider standardized test scores, academic achievement, especially in math and science, teacher recommendations, and demonstrated interest in science and mathematics when evaluating and ranking student applications. SWVGS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability in its programs, activities or employment. SWVGS juniors are required to meet specific academic standards in order to return to the senior year program.
- Discuss the opportunity with your parents, guidance counselor, gifted resources teacher, and other trusted individuals.
- Attend the field trip to visit and tour SWVGS.
- Fill out the ENTIRE SWVGS Application Packet and return it to your guidance counselor or gifted resource teacher. You must complete the entire online New River Community College application as well as all pages of the Radford University application including the In-State Tuition Rates page even though you will not pay tuition.
- Ask your guidance counselor to complete the Student Record form and the School Recommendation form.
- Ask three of your teachers - 1 math teacher, 1 science teacher, and 1 teacher of any other subject of your choice - to provide recommendations for you using the Faculty Recommendation forms.
- Return the application and recommendation forms to your guidance counselor. Your counselor will forward your completed application packet to the school division selection committee.
Make sure the ENTIRE SWVGS Application Packet and recommendation forms are completed and in the hands of your guidance counselor or gifted resource teacher by application deadline set for your specific school division.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.